Sunday, July 21, 2013

Take a Free Ride on the Staten Island Ferry


Yesterday I found myself at a loss for how to spend my Saturday evening. After browsing my usual sources for cheap events, it seemed like there was nothing fun happening in the city  (which proves how much of a spoiled New Yorker I've become). I racked my brain for an enjoyable, free way to spend a summer evening in the city. And then it came to me...the Staten Island Ferry! 

I know what you're thinking: why would anyone who lives in Manhattan spend thier Saturday night going to Staten Island? Not that I have anything against this forgotten borough because I'm sure if I explored I would find many redeeming qualities. But it's definitely not the mecca of entertainment and culture that is Manhattan. So why go, you ask? Well, as R. Alan Woods would say, "The journey is the destination."

Leaving from the Whitehall Station at the Southern tip of Manhattan, a ride on the Staten Island Ferry offers great views of the Manhattan skyline, Statue of Liberty, and Ellis Island. The ferry has a deck and ample outdoor seating so passengers can enjoy the view. The ride takes about 25 minutes one way and ferries operate twenty-four hours a day. Best of all, it's free! The best time to go is in the evenings, after rush hour. There's something hypnotic about watching the lit up city skyline get smaller and smaller as the sea breeze blows through your hair. It's a summer must-do!

So grab some friends, your camera, and maybe a beer or two and hop on! You can get more information and check the schedule for departures here


No comments:

Post a Comment