Sunday, October 7, 2012

Cheap Gyms in New York City

Asser Levy Recreation Center


Gyms, like so many things in New York City, are overpriced. A monthly membership to New York Sports Club or 24 Hour Fitness is $90, Crunch charges $100, and Equinox will run you close to $200. And that's not including initiation fees, personal training sessions, or the expensive fitness gear you'll need to buy to fit in. If you're like me, that's way out of your budget. Luckily, the New York Department of Parks and Recreation offers fit and frugal city dwellers a solution to this problem. Their 49 government sponsored recreation centers are scattered throughout the five boroughs and provide weight rooms, cardio centers, gymnasiums, and dance studios to the public. Some even include indoor pools!

 What's even more amazing is the price. At only $150 per year you gain access to all 49 facilities. And, as of 2015, they're offering a "Young Adult" membership option. If you're between 18 and 24 years old, annual membership is just $25. That's $2 per month!

Not every recreation center is created equal, I've found. I've been trying out a couple since signing up in September. The first one I checked out was dingy and small. The equipment was a bit outdated and to my chagrin, they only had one elliptical.

My favorite thus far has been the Chelsea Rec Center. They've got a wide variety of cardio equipment including treadmills, stair climbers, and ellipticals. They also have a separate spinning room where members can spin independently or drop in for a class. And the pool is huge! It is usually not too crowded and there is a certain community feeling amongst the members that I didn't feel when working out in some of those bigger name gyms. I would highly recommend exploring some of these facilities if you're searching for an affordable way to work out, especially now that temperatures are dropping. Here's a full list of locations. Let me know how you stay fit on a budget or if you know of any other cheap gyms in New York City.


The Pool @ Chelsea Rec Center

A Yoga Class in Session @ Chelsea Rec Center

Cardio Room @ Chelsea Rec Center


1 comment:

  1. I like the style of your blog specially the layout because it is very impressive. Anyway, I have been looking for a long time at Cheap Gyms in New York City because I want to enhance the shape of my body. And this is the exact article I was looking for, Thank you!.

    los angeles athletic club

    ReplyDelete