Monday, October 29, 2012

How I Resist Impulse Buying and Love It!

Temptation to impulse buy is everywhere in New York City. Just walking home from work I have to resist the urge to buy those cute boots on sale at Zara's or a sweet-smelling cupcake from the bakery on the corner or that quirky lamp at the flea market that would look perfect in my room. Sure, impulse buying makes you feel great in the moment, but those purchases add up and ultimately leave you feeling depleted and depressed. To curb my impulse spending, I devised a system.  Each week I budget myself:


  • $35 for groceries. I gave myself a grocery budget because I realized a lot of my impulse buying was happening at the supermarket. (It's hard to resist Trader Joe's Cranberry Almond Dunkers, am I right?)
  • $30 for spending money- this goes towards eating out with my friends, attending events, clothing, accessories- anything not essential

I keep a piece of paper in my purse and jot down my purchases as I make them for each category (pictured above).  Then at the end of the week, I add up my purchases and whatever amount is left over, I withdraw from the bank. I then put the cash into a box I keep in my room so I can use it in the future. I've been doing this for the past month and have already saved so much. Seeing the actual cash accruing is really rewarding. And it motivates me to save. For example, this week I decided to use up a lot of the food in my cupboards and freezer. I ended up only spending $4 on groceries for fresh produce! The other $31 went into my Dinobox (it's the cute little metal box I use to store the money for future use).  I'm planning on using what I save to buy a new camera (or maybe a smartphone!). I can also dip into it when I have a sporadic expense like a haircut or when I need to get my shoes re-soled. Having the extra cash gives me a lot of piece of mind.

What works for me may not work for you but it's worth a try.  Curbing impulse spending frees up some cash that you can use to buy things you really want. I'd love to hear how you all resist the everyday temptations in New York!

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant!!! I wish I could feed my family for $35 a week! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Execute your daily tasks with ease and convenience with daily household products from the house of BelowMRP.........Online Grocery Shopping & cheapest online grocery shopping

    ReplyDelete