Monday, October 1, 2012

Penniless Recipe: Leftover Taco Casserole


My roommate and I hosted taco night at our apartment for a few of our friends last week. Needless to say, we had quite a bit of left overs. I've been slowly picking at them for the past few days but I knew I would have to throw a lot of the ingredients out if it didn't get eaten soon. So I made a taco leftover casserole! Casseroles are a great (frugal) way to use up leftovers. Even if you don't eat the whole thing, you can always freeze individual portions and then stick them in the microwave for a quick meal.

My "taco leftover" casserole (which can serve 2) consisted of:

  • 2 soft corn taco shells
  • 1 cup of mexican rice
  • 1/2 cup of frozen peppers (I defrosted them in the microwave before adding them to the casserole)
  • 1/2 cup of canned corn
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
  • Several tablespoons of salsa
  • Tortilla chip crumbs (probably about 2 chips worth)


I greased my casserole dish and laid down the first taco shell. Then I layered on the rice, salsa, peppers, corn, and cheese. I laid down my second taco shell and did the same. Then I sprinkled the top with the tortilla chip crumbs for an extra crunch. I baked it at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.



The resulting casserole was a warm, cheesy, spicy delicacy. And I managed to use up a lot of the leftovers. I still have probably 10 corn tortillas. I'm thinking about baking them into tortilla chips...but I'll save that for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment